Adoption Date: 7/19/1994, Revised: 6/20/2000; 1/20/04; 7/1/2008; 12/04/12; 3/15/16, Reviewed: 4/23/19


The school's registered professional nurse may administer medication to a student during school hours under certain conditions. (For the purpose of this policy "medication" includes prescription and non-prescription). Per New York State Education Department (NYSED) requirements, the school must receive the following before medication is given to a student:

a) The original written order from the student's physician stating the name of the medication, precise dosage, frequency and time of administration;

b) A written, signed consent from the student's parent or legal guardian requesting the administration of the medication, as prescribed by the physician, to the student in school; and

c) The medication, properly labeled in its original container, must be delivered to the School Health Office by the student's parent or legal guardian. (The term "properly labeled" in the context of this policy means that the container must include the following information: the student's name, name of medication, dosage, frequency and prescribing physician.) A student is not permitted to carry any medication on his/her person in school, or on the school bus, or keep any medication in his/her school locker(s). An exception to this policy may apply for a student's asthma inhaler or epi-pen which a student may carry and use under certain conditions.

All medication orders must be reviewed annually or whenever there is a change in dosage.

Procedures governing the School District's receipt, storage and disposal of medication, as well as those pertaining to the administration of medication to a student after school hours and/or off school grounds during a school-sponsored activity will be in accordance with NYSED guidelines.

Emergency Medication

The administration of emergency medication (injectable, including "epi-pens," and/or oral) to a student for extreme hypersensitivity may be performed by a school staff member responding to an emergency situation when such use has been prescribed by a licensed prescriber. However, a registered professional nurse/nurse practitioner/physician/physician's assistant must have trained the staff member to administer the emergency medication for that particular emergency situation (e.g., "epi-pen") and given him/her approval to assist the student in the event of an emergency anaphylactic reaction. Such a response would fall under the Good Samaritan exemption for rendering emergency care during a life threatening situation.

Use of Asthma Inhalers in Schools

A student may carry and use an asthma inhaler if the School Health Office has on file: the physician's written order/diagnosis that the student has a severe asthma condition and may be subject to sudden and debilitating asthmatic attacks; and written permission from the student's parent or legal guardian. Upon written request of the student's parent or legal guardian, the school must allow a student to maintain an extra asthma inhaler in the care and custody of the school's registered professional nurse. (A School District is not required to hire a registered professional nurse solely for the purpose of maintaining a spare inhaler or to ensure that a registered professional nurse is available at all times in a school building for such purpose.)

Health Office personnel will maintain regular parental contact in order to monitor the effectiveness of such self-medication procedures and to clarify parental responsibility as to the daily monitoring of their child to ensure that the medication is being utilized in accordance with the physician's or provider's instructions. Additionally, the student will be required to report to the Health Office on a periodic basis as determined by Health Office personnel so as to maintain an ongoing evaluation of the student's management of such self-medication techniques, and to work cooperatively with the parents and the student regarding such self-care management.

Students who self-administer medication without proper authorization, under any circumstances, will be referred for counseling by school nursing personnel. Additionally, school administration and parents will be notified of such unauthorized use of medication by the student, and school administration may also be involved in determining the proper resolution of such student behavior.

Blood Glucose Monitoring

Children with diabetes have the right to care for their diabetes at school in accordance with the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA) and Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 which provide protection against discrimination for children with disabilities, including diabetes.

Accordingly, blood glucose monitoring must be allowed in the school setting at any time, within any place, and by anyone necessitating such testing. Children must receive assistance if needed with the procedure.

The school nurse shall oversee any arrangements that need to be made for testing and a system to report the results to the nurse as needed. Proper arrangements should be made for the disposal of sharps.

Alcohol-Based Hand Sanitizers

Alcohol-based hand sanitizers are considered over-the-counter (OTC) drugs by the United States Food and Drug Administration. However, due to the fact that careful hand-washing and sanitation is the most effective way to control the recent spread of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus Aureus (MRSA) in schools, the New York State Education Department (NYSED) has allowed a medical exemption to the requirements for OTC preparations in the school setting to permit the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers.

The School Medical Director may approve and permit the use of alcohol-based hand sanitizers in the District's schools without a physician's order. Parents may provide written notification to the school in the event that they do not wish to have their child use this product.

It should be noted that hand sanitizers which contain alcohol are flammable and shall not be placed in hallways or near an open flame or source of sparks.


Overexposure to ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun may cause sunburn, skin damage and increases the risk of skin cancer, especially exposure in the first fifteen (15) years of life. Although the FDA technically considers sunscreen an over-the-counter drug which would require a doctor's prescription in addition to parental permission, the New York State Education Department (NYSED) has issued an updated guidance document that will allow the use of sunscreen without a physician's order.

The District allows students to carry and use sunscreen in school if:

a) The sunscreen is used for the purpose of avoiding overexposure to the sun and not for medical treatment of an injury or illness;

b) The sunscreen is approved by the FDA for over-the-counter use; and

c) The student's parent or guardian provides written permission for the student to carry and use sunscreen.

A student who is unable to physically apply sunscreen may be assisted by unlicensed personnel when directed to do so by the student, if permitted by a parent/guardian and authorized by the school. Parents/guardians are responsible for providing the sunscreen to be used at school.

Disposal of Unused Medication

Any unused medication (including, but not limited to expired prescription and nonprescription drugs) must be returned to the parent/person in parental relation by the end of each school year. If the parent/person in parental relation does not retrieve the unused medication by the end of the school year, then the School Nurse or designated School Health Office personnel must document that the medication was abandoned and dispose of the unused medication.

NOTE: Refer also to Policy #7521 -- Students with Life-Threatening Health Conditions

Policy References:
Individuals with Disabilities Education Improvement Act of 2004 [Public Law 108-446 Section 614(a)]
Individuals with Disabilities Education Act (IDEA), 20 USC Sections 1400 et seq.
Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, 29 USC Section 794 et seq.
Education Law Sections 902(b), 916, 6527(4)(a) and 6908(1)(a)(iv)
Public Health Law Section 3000-a

Website by SchoolMessenger Presence. © 2021 Intrado Corporation. All rights reserved.